Thursday, March 16, 2017

Super Fast Easy and Free Drum Beats with Linux Mint and Hydrogen

You don't have to be a musician or musical to do this super fast and easy drum beat.  I made a quick little tutorial on YouTube to show how unbelievably easy it is to do.  It takes 5 minutes.

Using Linux Mint, I just used the GUI app to get Hydrogen.  I think it's also available for Win and Mac.  At first, I tried it out in a guest Mint OS in Virtual Box on my Mint host and it was ok, but a little slow and didn't handle the timing well, but I was able to build simple beats in patterns, arrange them into songs, and then export the wave file and play that on host. 

It processed everything fine, it just had trouble playing in time without audio glitches on the host.  That was definitely asking for a lot considering that a lot of the time, it can be a challenge to get audio applications working well on a non-virtual machine.  Not sure at the moment what we call that.  Does virtual have an opposite? 

After it looked good and didn't even crash once, I decided to go ahead and  install it on the host.  The timing issue was gone and it's a really good program, and a really nice surprise is that the TR-808 sounds are in there on default install, no need to go find and download any add-ons for it, or figure out how to make my own samples, very handy.

In my YouTube video, I replace the standard sounds for the 808 and make two simple patterns and then play them over the video while describing what I'm doing.

Here it is.  Hydrogen Drum Machine Video


No comments:

Post a Comment